My guest today is Marty Hoffman, M.D.
- Chief of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, VA Northern
California Health Care System
- Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University
of California Davis
- Research Director, Western States Endurance Run
- Chief Medical Officer, Ultra Medical Team
- Serves on several editorial boards, and is Editor-in-Chief,
Wilderness & Environmental Medicine
- Has published well over 100 peer reviewed research studies and
11 books or book chapters.
- He is an accomplished ultra runner himself - He’s
the 2008 Grand Master (50-59 age group) National
Champion, USATF 100 Mile Trail Championship, Tahoe Rim Trail
In today’s episode:
- All about the history and current topics of research at Western
States Endurance Runs (WSER).
- Hyponatremia at WSER
- Learn the answer to, "Is sodium supplementation necessary to
avoid dehydration during prolonged exercise in the heat?”.
- What do we know today about the long term health of
ultra-endurance runners? Is ultra marathon running bad for us AND
WHY IT MAY NOT EVEN MATTER?
- Learn the most important take-home action items from research
at WSER that you can put into practice TODAY!
- Find out how you can get involved in research at
AND SO MUCH MORE...